After each round, the housing needs to be cleaned and disinfected to remove organic and inorganic pollution. Static pollution is what remains after neglected washing or after using a poor or low-quality detergent. For example, if during cleaning only 99% of the pollution is removed, the remaining 1% is what we call static pollution. When static pollution is allowed to build up round after round, multiple layers of pollution will form on top of each other. This build-up is what we call historical pollution.
Historical pollution becomes increasingly problematic and difficult to remove if no measures are taken. The layers of pollution form a breeding ground for pathogens and can negatively impact animal health and performance.
Recognizing various types of pollution
Before cleaning & disinfecting, it is important to know which type of pollution(s) you are dealing with to efficiently clean both organic and/or inorganic pollution. Take a look at your barn and compare it with the images below to see what types of pollution you are up against.
Cleaning before disinfection
Static pollution not only contains pathogens, but it is also a food source for microorganisms and a barrier for disinfectants! Because of this, it is crucial that a detergent is used effectively before applying a disinfectant. When no detergent is used, a layer of fats and proteins will remain on the surface. This layer functions as a barrier that stops disinfectants from reaching all pathogens behind this surface. To ensure a germ-free surface follow ensure that you follow a thorough cleaning and disinfection protocol.
Do you have historical pollution?
How do you know whether you are dealing with historical pollution?
Historical pollution is most easily spotted directly after the washing procedure. If there is a clearly visible layer of contamination remaining after cleaning, you are dealing with historical pollution.
Figure 1 shows how neglected washing or using the wrong products can lead to a build-up of historical pollution. Without a proper protocol, farms can quickly go from category 0 to category 4.
Differentiating between the types of historical pollution.
How to remove organic pollution.
Option 1: Continuous cleaning program
With a continuous cleaning program, you’ll get closer and closer to a category 0 with each cleaning cycle. Refer to proper cleaning protocols and ensure that you are using your cleaner properly in order to clean and remove the pollution.
Option 2: Knockdown program
When you want to reset immediately to a category zero on one cleaning cycle, the knockdown program is the quickest and most effective way of achieving this. You will apply the acid knockdown products at 100% concentration through a backpack sprayer, let it soak for 5 minutes, and then pressure wash the surface clean.
Recommended products to remove organic and inorganic pollution.
For more information, or to schedule a demo/consultation, reach out to Schippers Canada at 1-866-995-7771 or visit www.schippers.ca