World Pork Expo organizers remove animals from show in wake of African swine flu

299

Source: KCCI 8 Des Moines

Organizers of the World Pork Expo will not allow animals at the show this year.

Representatives of the expo said the reason for the change comes from the African swine flu that threatens swine in China. While the African swine flu is not in the United States, fear of the disease forced organizers to cancel the expo last year.

“One of (the changes) is that there will not be a live show. The group that manages the show moved that to Indianapolis, and it will be after the World Pork,” said Craig Boelling, with the National Pork Producers Council.

He clarified there is no vaccine to stop the African swine flu.

Meanwhile, Catch Des Moines representatives said with the removal of the swine show, the city may feel an impact. Organizers are hoping to bring in $11 million through the event this year.

“Fewer hotels, fewer visitors to town but I think for the most part, the big companies will still be here. They will still be entertaining their clients and the restaurant at night and hospitalities and hotels and things like that,” said Greg Edwards, with Catch Des Moines.

The World Pork Expo is being held in Des Moines from June 3 to June 5.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here