At the 2019 Iowa Pork Congress, the Iowa Pork Producers Association introduced the 2018 class of Master Pork Producers and Master Pork Partners.
A Master Pork Producer award denotes an individual’s or family’s excellence in pork production, as measured by their pork production statistics, their commitment to We Care® principles, and their contribution to their community. There are six We Care principles that outline a pig farmer’s responsibilities to uphold high standards for animal care, food production, the environment, people, and community involvement.
IPPA’s 77th class of Master Pork Producers includes nine pig farmers. They are:
- Chet and Cassie Mogler, Alvord, Lyon County
- Bryian Lundell, Odebolt, Sac County
- Kathy Pratt, Aurelia, Cherokee County
- Fred and Donna Zenk, Akron, Plymouth County
- Dominic and Karen Hogan, Monticello, Jones County
- Gene Tinker, Manchester, Delaware County
- Ryan Kress, Winthrop, Buchanan County
- Terry and Janet Mann, Turin, Monona County
- Denis and Laurel Heithoff, Carroll, Carroll County
IPPA started the Master Pork Producer Award program in 1942 and has now named 1,484 Iowa pig farmers as Master Pork Producers.
IPPA created the Master Pork Partner Award in 2014 to recognize pork production company employees who have made positive impacts on pork production systems, even though they don’t have active daily roles at a specific production site. , but have demonstrated positive impacts in their production systems and a commitment to the pork industry’s We Care ethical principles.
The 2018 Master Pork Partners are:
- Dr. Cassandra Jass, DVM, Iowa Select Farms, Iowa Falls
- Dr. Josh Bowden, DVM; Winthrop Veterinary Clinic, Winthrop
- Chris Riesgaard, Audubon-Manning Veterinary Clinic (AMVC), Audubon
All award winners are nominated by their peers and neighbors, and represent the diversity of Iowa’s pork production farms. This production diversity helps maintain the strength of the industry and enables Iowa producers to compete successfully in the domestic and international commodity and niche markets.
The Iowa Pork Producers Association and Iowa State University Extension co-sponsor the Master Pork Producer program to demonstrate the character and breadth of Iowa pork production. Nominations for the 2019 Master Pork Program awards will open in May.