GLOBAL MARKET REPORT
MEXICAN PORK MARKET
Mexico increases pork exports
Mexican pork exports grew 9.5 percent in 2016, compared to the previous year.
Last year, pork sales abroad totaled more than 432 thousand tons, unlike the 395 thousand that were exported in 2015, the main destinations are Asia, Japan, South Korea and China.
The Japanese market is one of the most important for this meat product, four out of every five tonnes exported go to that country.
In addition, the renewed political and trade relationship between Mexico and China will allow pork exports, among other agrifood products, to increase in the short and medium term, in light of the Asian giant’s high demand.
Data from the Agri-Food and Fisheries Information Service (SIAP) indicate that pork production in the country in 2016 grew by 49 thousand tons (3.75 percent growth compared to 2015, with 1,364,200 tonnes).
The same agency – referred to SAGARPA – reported that the six main pork producing states are Jalisco, with 265,217 tonnes; Sonora, 234,639; Puebla, 166,947; Yucatan, 135,442; Veracruz, 122,329, and Guanajuato, 110,489 tons.
Data from the SIAP show that the national inventory is more than 1.7 million head of pigs and that per capita consumption is 16.3 kilograms.
Mexican Hog Market
Following is the pork price trend in Mexico since the first week of this year:
Pork prices have been much steadier over the last three weeks, considering that seasonality has been a critical factor (40 days Lent and Easter) that has negatively affected red meat consumption. We think the price will recover as the warm season looms, and more pork leave Mexico to international destinations.
Lorne Tannas Appointed General Manager, China
Genesus is pleased to announce Lorne Tannas as General Manager, China. Lorne has had a distinguished career in swine production.
- Over 30 years in the Swine Industry, working as production manager and supervisor in several large systems
- Was owner/operator of 2500 sow Genesus Nucleus barn – 15 years Genesus customer
- 10 years Agriculture Canada Swine Research
- 10 years Assiniboine Community College, teaching Swine Management Program and Journeyman Swine Technician Program
- Author of numerous courses, technical papers and standard operating procedures used in the swine industry
- Has spoken and done many presentations over the years – Canada, United States, Mexico, Philippines, and China
- Has worked for 4 years in China as Nucleus and Production Support for Genesus
- Diploma in Business Administration
- Swine Technician Certificate
T (Canada): 1-204-730-2007
T (China): 86-136-1117-1945
Jim Long’s Pork Commentary
Genesus Global Market Reports
Genesus Global Technical Reports